Saturday, November 5, 2011

The weather is turning

As the weather turns cooler, my mind wanders to soup dinners. I have always loved soup, and making soup for family always feel like you are nourishing them. 
My husband took Russian in high school (Don't ask. I assume it was just to be contrarian) and one day his teacher made them borscht. In graduate school, I made it for him once, and he liked it. Last week I decided that it was such a simple recipe, I should do it again.


Here is all it takes:
In a crock pot combine:

2 10oz cans of beef consume or broth
2 14oz cans of diced red beets
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 small red onion
1 T sugar
splash lemon juice
sour cream, if desired - added at the end before serving. (my husband dislikes sour cream, so we omit) 
Set pot on high for about 4 hours and enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment