Friday, October 21, 2011

Salad Your Husband Will Like

In my unending quest to get my husband to eat more vegetables, I am always trying to make non-corn side dishes with dinner (hes from Iowa).
Here is a fairly successful attempt that I made a few weeks back. It was based on a recipe I found in Bon Appitite, but I recommend a few changes, here is what I came up with:


  • 3 navel oranges
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium jícama (about 3/4 pound)
  • 2 firm-ripe California avocado
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

  • Supreme an orange, and place the segments into a bowl. Keep the juice (up to 1/4 cup) from the orange remains. Add the salt, vinegar and whisk in the oil . Thinly slice or julienne the jicima and mix it with a sliced avocado. Mix the salad in a bowl, and add the dressing. Add the cilantro just before serving. 

If I were making it again, I might suggest coring and thinly slicing a green apple for it as well, I think it would add a nice tart bite to the dish. We thought the avocado was a little too rich, and overpowered the other flavors a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment