Sunday, September 25, 2011

Daily Bread

As a single girl, I usually enjoyed cooking. When I was in my second year of graduate school, I became ill, and as a result, had to spend a lot of time at home-alone. Looking for recipes online, searching cookbooks and reading Gourmet Magazine were constructive ways to pass time, and part of a creative outlet. Learning about exotic flavors and spices allowed me to travel, although I often couldn't leave the apartment.  Making dinner for my (then) roommate gave me a creative outlet and helped me feel like I was able to do something constructive with my day. During that time, I became a pretty decent cook. I had time to practice, cooked daily, and even won recipe contests. 
Now, I still do enjoy making food, however, somewhere along the way, I feel as thought I am not as passionate about cooking as I once was.  Is it because I am now working full time? Does cooking feel more like a chore than a pleasure now? Am I lazy now because I now have a husband, and feel less pressure to impress?
I think a lot of it has to do with how tired I feel after a long day at work. The work I do is (like many people) emotionally demanding, and the idea of starting an hours worth of work to get a meal on the table is daunting. I find myself relying on baking a pizza more than I would like to admit. 

So my question is, what do you ladies do to get in the "mood" to cook? Do you head right to the kitchen after work? Sit down and relax for a few minutes before diving in?  Have easy meals that you can get on the table in a flash? Cook ahead? Tips? Secrets? Delivery? 

No comments:

Post a Comment