Saturday, September 24, 2011

Nothing Yet

As a newly married woman, the question I get the most (after, "How is married life?") has to be, "So, how long until you have a little one?" This may not be typical for all newlyweds, however, I work in a field that puts me around elderly people all day. Due to the generational differences between us, a question that seems a bit out of place to me, is perfectly acceptable for them.
It's not just one or two people, I get asked weekly about if there "Is anything there yet?" "Whats the good news?", my personal favorite, "When are you gonna get fat?" and various other euphemisms asking me when I will be getting around to my natural life-outcome, having a baby.
Most couples today wouldn't even be thinking about babies less than 5 months into a marriage, but for many older people it is only a matter of time before a wedding turns into a birth . Right now, I just smile, laugh, and demurely change the topic. However, it has made me think-for partners today, when is the right time to start expanding a family?
My husband and I both know we would like to have a baby at some point, (due to medical reasons-which I will have to save for a future post-I am not positive this is a possibility for me) but how do you know when you are ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment