Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Orange, Jicama, and Avocado Salad

As I shared in the previous post, sometimes I feel a little daunted at dinnertime around the newlywed household. I also mentioned that, in the past, some of my dishes and recipes won me some pretty nifty prizes. Doing research for these recipes has me subscribed to various foodie magazines.
One of the things I like to do with my husband is, when a new month's edition arrives in the mail slot, I give it to him and he flips through and picks a recipe for me to try. A few weeks ago, my husband choose a salad with avocado jicama, and orange from Bon Appatite. Here is what I came up with:
It was yummy, quick, and pretty easy--the recipe they have online is different from the more recent version, but in the spirit of sharing, here is how I made it for him:

  • 3 navel orange

  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar

  • 2 tablespoons orange juice

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil

  • 1 medium jícama (about 3/4 pound)

  • 2 firm-ripe California avocados

  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro


  • Segment the orange, and save 2 tablespoons of the juice. Whisk in the salt, sugar and oil. Mix the orange jicima avocado. Top with the dressing, and allow to set in the fridge for about a half our before mixing in the cilantro and serving. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment