Friday, October 14, 2011

Feeling Domestic

In my never-ending quest to be a good wife, this past week I have been a diligent student of the domestic arts. It makes me feel like a grown-up when I have one of these "wife fits." I also must preface this post by saying that cleaning will never be a housewifely duty I will enjoy. Usually, if I feel the urge to clean coming on, I try to sit down and wait for it to pass.

Tonight, I went full-force wife by roasting a whole chicken. Now, I am descent and pretty frequent cook, however, I do not eat that much meat, and as such, cooking large hunks of protein is still a little intimidating for me. I decided, however, that I just had to through myself into the project, and if I failed, be ready to order a pizza. It was not too difficult, but did involve a few attempts with the thermometer. Eventually, we got there. Here were the results:


Chicken getting a salt and pepper shower
Chicken all trussed and ready to get its potato and carrot friends
"After" fresh from the oven
The real "After" where the chicken is plated and ready for dinner
Those are the pictures, and I will tell you how we got there ( it was easy). All I did-really- was remove the innards of the chicken and dry it thoroughly with a paper towel. Pre-heat the oven to 450 F. Then, I cut a lemon in half, and stuffed it in the cavity and liberally salted and peppered the chicken. Finally, I poked a few slits into the chicken's fat deposits before trussing the legs and wings. I cut up a few small potatoes and a carrot and put the whole roasted into the oven for about an hour. 

Yesterday I spent the evening reworking a bridesmaid's dress I wore as part of a wedding a few weeks ago.   I took out the under slip, shortened the hem, adjusted some trim, and am planning on wearing it to a dinner cruise with my husband this weekend. So, stay tuned to see some before and after pictures of the dress tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment