Friday, October 14, 2011

Feeling Domestic

In my never-ending quest to be a good wife, this past week I have been a diligent student of the domestic arts. It makes me feel like a grown-up when I have one of these "wife fits." I also must preface this post by saying that cleaning will never be a housewifely duty I will enjoy. Usually, if I feel the urge to clean coming on, I try to sit down and wait for it to pass.

Tonight, I went full-force wife by roasting a whole chicken. Now, I am descent and pretty frequent cook, however, I do not eat that much meat, and as such, cooking large hunks of protein is still a little intimidating for me. I decided, however, that I just had to through myself into the project, and if I failed, be ready to order a pizza. It was not too difficult, but did involve a few attempts with the thermometer. Eventually, we got there. Here were the results:



 Here is the quick and dirty version of what I did. The key is to make sure the bird is DRY when you put it into the oven.  I preheated the oven to 450 F. Then gave my chicken a liberal shower with salt and pepper. Placed a half lemon in the cavity, trussed, and baked it for about an hour (internal temp at least 165).

No comments:

Post a Comment